Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Quality time in my vehicle.

It's no secret that I spend 3+hours a day in my vehicle. That's 15 hours week, an extra 60 hours/month. Most of you know that I really dislike driving... in general.

So what do I do with this 15 hours a week? I could think of lots of things that I COULD do with it - but here is what I actually get done with that time.

  • I listen to about 2 books/month. Most books are about 10-12 hours, but sometimes I need a break. When I am listening to a book, I usually do 2 CD's a day - then music.
  • I listen to music, and often sing along.
  • Sometimes I listen to some type of NPR talk radio ... and then get mad.
  • I talk on the phone.. mostly to my family.
  • I think, fret and worry. This time gives me LOT'S of time to contemplate the things that are going on with our lives.
  • I drink coffee.
  • I worry some more.
  • I test the capabilities of my vehicle. If its the car, I see if I can take a corner a few miles faster than yesterday, or how quickly I can pass someone.
  • If I'm in the truck, I relax...and try to catch my seat on fire with the seat warmer.
  • I yell at the stupid jack-offs that are around me.

Some days I think "I can't possibly do this another day". Twice a day I get into my vehicle, and think "I can do anything for a couple more weeks". Weeks turn into months, months turn into years.

The only thing that saves my sanity is that I have a few different routes, and I have two different vehicles to do those routes with. It provides me with just enough variety that I don't slit my wrists.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

I loved listening to books on CD when I worked in Bellevue. I think it helps you forget that you're stuck in traffic and you have that stupid idiot in front of you that doesn't know how to drive!!!

Roger Bennett said...

Idiot? Idiot? Don't you mean tens of thousands of idiots!?!?!?

My commute used to be a lot better, as I had someone commuting with me, but he moved north about 200 miles. Now I have to walk the mile into work alone. Not sure what I like better -- driving to work with traffic, or having to walk everyplace I want or need to go, with everything a half mile or more away from where I just happen to be.

Even I used to listen to the books Angie brought home. Some good, other not so much... I have a dozen ways to go to work and come home, when I was commuting to Falls Church, the problem is, unless it was after 8pm, they were all far slower than just taking the toll road at 75 minutes each way with some traffic, or 45 minutes if I went in very early.

Angie said...

... and the toll road is 4.85 each way!

What I really hate is to sit in taffic on the toll road!