Sunday, August 31, 2008

It sucks to travel, sometimes....

Here's the view out of my transient accommodation in Kuwait. Yesterday's temp and humidity was 125F @ 99%. As it cooled down, it turned to fog... I'm about halfway up the tower overlooking the Persian Gulf. I love the water, and it's a view I've seen many times over the past few years, and a bittersweet one, as it usually means I'm about to become separated from those I love, or I'm going to see them soon. This time, it's the latter, after a short 5 months.

I know, five months isn't that long, I've done far longer. But the reasons have changed, and I'm no longer here to do my part for the cause, or for the adventure, or for anything beyond the obvious. I'm here, because it's my job, and because they're paying me to be here. The thrill is gone, and most of my friends are over here. What does that say about my life?

I have resigned myself to admitting that I miss having my wife near me, and that the only thing holding us apart at this moment is a house that neither of us really wants. It's tough on her, and it's equally as tough on me. I miss all the family events, and only get to see them through the blog, and the phone calls home. The picture of Whitney and Alexis holding Spenser predates my involvement by about 8 years or so, but as you can see, I know what it is, and it's on display in Kuwait, as I look at the Persian Gulf.

I'm pretty lucky though. Here it is, on the eve of my eighth year anniversary of being officially associated with this family of Snells, and I'm still looking forward to continuing that association, as much as I may give you all crap about it. My daughter has gown up to be an articulate and independent woman, and is leading her life on her own terms. Angie's son has grown up, still has a ways to go toward becoming independent, but I'd like to think I've instilled something worthwhile there as well.

I've been a lot of places, have seen and done a lot of things, but at this moment, my only real thought is how many hours I have left before I get to see my bride again. She's coming four thousand miles to see me. I doubt there are too many others out there that would do the same, proof again that I made a very good choice eight years ago.

I'm taking her to see castles, and she's taking me to look over the sea. She's forever doing things for me, so I'm forever trying to make sure she has everything she needs. Hopefully, in the next year, we can figure out a way to be able to do it together, once and for all.

Anyone need a real fixer-upper? One previous owner. Just a couple of minor explosions, with noisy but distant neighbors. Easy airport access. (Baath Party House, Iraq.)

No comments: